Its been a while since I’ve written anything on here. A multitude of reasons kept me away — everything from taking small trips, hosting visitors, working on projects and having no time left over to write about them here, blogging for my full time job over on Retro Renovation and just spending some of the summer time outside away from the glow of a computer monitor. I haven’t decided to stop sharing my projects, life and home — I’ve just taken a bit of a summer break. But while I’ve been silent, progress has been happening around the Retro Ranch.
Remember my Retro Ranch Revamp Resolution to put a stepping stone path between our oval patio and victory garden? I’ve been wanting to do this project for a few years now (Leo has been nagging me about it) and after a heck of a lot of work, I’m proud to say it is finally done.
To fully appreciate how far this part of the yard has come, here is a shot from two years ago, after I had already hacked out most of the giant, half-dead, overgrown shrub planted too close to the house.
This was not even the full extent of the overgrowth, If I could only find the photos taken shortly after we bought the house…then you would realize just how big of a transformation has actually occurred in this quadrant of the yard. But on to present day…
Next up was digging up all of the grass, breaking up the soil and leveling it out a bit to prep the surface for the circular stone pavers. During this part of the process, Leo was quite a task master.There was a lot more than grass to dig up. I also found all of these VERY heavy stones just under the dirt. I think they originally were used to contain a small garden next to the house. Whoever started the garden probably gave up pretty quickly because our house’s large overhangs don’t allow any rain water to reach up next to the house — meaning the soil is very dry and any attempt at a garden would have to be watered on a daily basis.
Then I planted some low growing, ground cover plants that will hopefully grow together and fill in all the dirt spaces over time. In the dry space between the stepping stones and the house, I continued the same river rock used in some of the other areas between the sidewalk and the house. With half the path completed, I was exhausted. A sudden summer thunderstorm announced the end of my day’s work.
A few more weekends passed before I was able to get back to work on the path. With Labor Day fast approaching, I noticed a sale on the remaining river rock needed to complete the path — which was enough to get me fired up to finish the project.
The path turned out better than I could have hoped. I’m crossing my fingers that the ground cover plants will take hold and come back stronger next year. Hopefully within a few years, the space will be all filled in and look great.
…even though he has yet to actually use it.