I have fallen in love…with a lamp. Not just any lamp, but a really cool mid century inspired lamp. One that is very well made, here in America by some very talented people in Portland, OR.
Her name is Alberta…and we met online.
Have you ever heard of Kickstarter? It is this cool, online community of people trying to accomplish things (make a product, start a company, fund public art, etc.) and you can read their stories, look at their products and decide if you want to help them reach their goal. If they reach their goal within the amount of time they have to gain support, then they become “fully funded” and can make their product, start their company, make their public art, etc. Usually the backers also receive something for backing the project. In this case, if you give enough, you receive a lamp.
Luckily enough for Caravan Pacific (the name of their company), Apartment Therapy liked their lamp and featured it in a roundup of mid century modern looking lamps (which is how I found it). They were then fully backed by the end of the second day of their project! Even though they were fully backed, their project can continue to gain support until the end of their allotted time.
In my case, it was love at first sight. I watched the video on how the lamps are created and further fell in love with the quality and design of this lovely lamp. As the days went by, I kept pining for Alberta. I had a spot all picked out for her in my den. I was asking friends and family what they thought I should do. For the combination that I wanted (the Alberta Table Lamp in Black Walnut + White Stoneware + White Shade) it cost $275 to be a backer and receive the lamp. That is a lot for me to pay for a lamp. I think the most I have ever spent on a lamp before was $100 (and that was only once!)
Finally, after about a week of thinking about it, I decided to go for it. I had listed all my pros and cons and in the end, there were much more pros than cons:
• It is a really cool, really well made lamp that I am totally in love with
• By ordering this lamp, I am helping some really talented people start their business
• After they are officially launched, the price of this lamp will go up (according to their info) and I really won’t be able to afford it then
• The design is classic and the combination I want is a neutral color combination that will go in any room in my house so I can always move it to a new location in the house at any time and not worry about it matching – yay versatility!
• It is scheduled to arrive in January and it will really help me get over that post holiday bummer feeling
• It is a $275 lamp – more than I have ever paid for a lamp before
And with that, my mind was made up. On November 7th, I became a backer!
I felt very happy! Then a few days later I got an email saying that the color combination I had backed was so popular that they were only allowing ten more people to back that design before they marked it “sold out.” I went back to check the site and sure enough, they were gone. I made up my mind at just the right time!
If you are interested in watching the video on the making of the New Century Modern Lamp (Alberta) or backing one of the other lamp combinations they still have available, head on over to Kickstarter (click here.)
If you also fall in love with Alberta, you have 10 days to decide!